Monday, October 19, 2009

A Letter to My Wife - Part 5

Well, it's official. It's no longer a matter of, "I can't do anything right." Now "WE can't do anything right."

Yeah, this week I was assigned my battle buddy. Every time I fuck up, we both pay. And every time he does something wrong, I get to share the credit with him. It's awesome. It is kind of nice to have someone to motivate you along, and someone to motivate. That feeling that someone is relying on me to help and motivate them makes me feel... more useful, I guess. It inspires me to try that much harder.

I have also mastered the art of taking apart and putting my rifle back together. Don't tell my drill sergeant I said that; he doesn't agree.

Aside from that it's been another week of the same old same old. Drills. PT. Marching. Running. Getting dropped (DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY! YES, DRILL SERGEANT!). Eating food that tastes like feet. Sleeping every now and then for what feels like a few minutes.

And still I think of you every day. I wonder what you're doing. Sometimes I get a moment to look up toward the sky. It's beautiful out here after dark. It's a strange feeling to be so far away and know that when I look up and see the moon, it's the same moon that you see out in California.

Sometimes I picture myself sitting over there on the couch, staring at you as you sit there in your chair. You are beautiful. I picture your smile when I need a boost. Thoughts of you have become my wonder drug, my steroids, and my serenity.

Anyhow, make sure you're taking good care of yourself. Eat well, and rest well. And make sure to have some fun, too. Pick up the phone and call people. Talk to people. And be sure to smile.

I miss you and I love you very much.

Love,
Your Husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment