Friday, September 11, 2009

The US Army Takes Over the Lake

On Wednesday, I got a phone call from my Sergeant telling me that our 16:30 Thursday PT has been cancelled. Instead, we would be meeting up at 15:00 and then heading over to the lake for a little R&R. I was told that the family is invited if they would like to come along.

Now I'm the kind of guy that likes the Army Chain of Command. Throughout my life, I haven't exactly been the type to follow orders without question, but I do feel that when it comes to the Army, following orders is an important and necessary part of being the best Soldier I can be. So when my Sergeant says to spend a relaxing day at the lake, who am I to question orders? After all, he's got many years in the Army under his belt and many stripes on his sleeve, and I am only an E-1, yet to even earn my 1st stripe.

We all had a great time at the lake. The Brats had a blast splashing around in the shallow waters of the lake. The Wife and I even enjoyed getting our feet wet a little.

Another little piece of info about me: I've always struggled making friends. So when the other Future Soldiers set up a volleyball net in the sand, my Wife insisted that I go play and make some friends. I suck at volleyball, but again comes the Chain of Command. I love my Wife with all my heart, and completely trust her, especially with decisions that involve my happiness. I know she has my best interest in mind, and she has never steered me wrong. She has earned her "stripes" as my Wife, and therefore she has the right to give certain orders that I must follow.

I headed over to the volleyball court, but the teams had already been decided. So I stood on the sideline and waited for someone to maybe want to rotate out so I could fill their spot.

But then I saw a football go flying through the air off in the distance. When it comes to footballs, I am like a Golden Retriever with a tennis ball. The football went flying through the air again, and I couldn't resist. I gave chase. We played some toss, and soon the group that had gathered around the football was big enough to get a game going.

We headed to a big open part of the beach. The Wife and the Brats took a tailgate seat to watch the game. The Sergeant joined the melee. And we got us a full fledged football game going on in the rocky sand.

The game was awesome and exhausting. We ran the old no-huddle 2-minute drill throughout the entire game, which went on for about an hour and a half. I played Safety on defense, and managed to pick up a few of tackles, including one touchdown saving tackle inches short of the goal line. I also deflected a few passes and even managed to intercept a pass and return it most of the distance back across the field. On offense, I played Wide Receiver, Running Back, and even tried my hand at Quarterback, which I really enjoyed.

After the game (which either ended in a tie or we won by a touchdown... the debate rages on), we'll all headed back over to the water to cool off. After a brief swim, we were all ordered out of the water and to fall into formation.

We all lined up.

What could this be for? I wondered.

The Sergeant called out a couple of names and ordered us out of formation and to stand front and center.

I was then presented with an award that states:

"DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Certificate of Promotion

MY NAME
(I omitted my real name here for a little online anonymity,
but my real name is printed on the certificate)


has been promoted to

Private Second Class

This promotion recognizes demonstrated ability
and is a credit to both the individual and the Army"


How cool is that? Turns out the day of R&R was actually a celebration in honor of our promotion. I was recognized in front of my entire unit. And my Wife and Brats were there to see me get my 1st promotion.

I am now officially and E-2, or Private 2nd Class. I have earned my 1st set of stripes (which comes with added benefits, including a nice little pay raise)!

I have been working my butt off in an attempt to promote early. Not only have I been studying hard to learn everything a Soldier should know, but I have officially done more push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and ran more miles than I can count in this last month. I am fortunate to be working under a great Sergeant who cares about his recruits and takes all the time we need to not only physically train us, but to also get us all the information we need to excel.

I am also very lucky to have a beautiful, supportive Wife and two adorable, supportive Brats who have been right behind me, rooting me on every step of the way.

Signed,
PV2 Delta... hooah!

2 comments:

  1. Hey PV2 Delta,
    I love this story and all the good things you are doing. All true stuff, even the part about the beautiful wife and loving brats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, K. Glad you enjoyed the story. And you know, I am truly a lucky guy to have such a great family!

    ReplyDelete